• 2020 Client Beta

Panic
    • Announcements
    Draftthing.png

We've been hard at work behind the scenes on our new 2020 client, we've finally got it to a point where we wish to share it with the public in the form of an open beta. 

NOTE: NovaEXT support will be added in a couple of days.
    NOTE: This client does not yet bring DirectDX9 support. (Will come separate at a much later date)

There will be a new section on our bug tracker dedicated to 2020 client issues which can be found here. Thanks to @phaicm for making this client possible.
    As you would expect with a new client comes new features! Some of the new features you will be able to expect with this client are as follows:
    • New skill animations.
    • Some multi-hit skills (such as Sonic Blow, Cross Impact, etc) will now only show 1 hit frame.
    • Inventory expansion (this feature is disabled during the beta phase of this client).
    • Two sets of hotkeys (alt-f to switch).
      • hotkey.gif
    • No loading delay when selecting a character in a later slot in the character selection window.
    • Locking chat window now also locks its position on screen.
    • The new guild skills can be placed on your hotkey bar.
    • Using @whosell in-game will now bring up a new window and, if you are in a town, you will be able to buy from any vending shop in-game.
    • Garment layers have been fixed. Heads are now properly displayed below garments from the back view.
    • New delete all and collect all options in ROdex.

How to install

We've made the installation process for the new client beta very easy for players!

1. Run NovaRO Patcher (let it patch up).
    2. Right click on the patcher background.
    3. Select Client.
    4. Pick the Beta Client option.
      • Choosing Beta Client option will automatically backup your current client setup. If you wish to revert back to the default client, click on the Default Client option to restore your client from your backup.

~tmp_0_2020-03-06_21-40-50.png

Windows 7 issues

If you're still on Windows 7, chances are you will get a crash when closing the client. We might look into a way to fix this issue in the future, but if you want to avoid this warning for now, you can use the following steps:

• Open a command prompt (Start > Run), and type in gpedit.msc
    • Go to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Component > Windows Error Reporting
    • Then right-click on "Prevent display of the user interface for critical errors" > Edit > and set to "Enabled".

Others

There are a few known issues with the client and they should be resolved in due time. There has been a major change regarding how guild emblems are displayed. The default and newer client are not compatible with one another.

• When using the Beta Client, you will not be able to upload guild emblems.
    • Once the testing phase is over, it will be the reverse. Older clients will not be able to upload guild emblems, only the newer one will.
    • The guild emblems on the newer client may not be fully up to date (last update was on the 2020-03-07). Once the testing phase is over, this will no longer be an issue.
    • NovaExt is currently disabled and will not work on the newer client. It will be added in due time (it is already being worked on).
    • Homunculus AI is bound to NovaExt, so that will also not be working.

IsaacAsimov, Lorea, Blazzy and 16 others like this

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Following the directions in the post, I keep getting an error.

THOR extraction failed (202002.thor) : The process cannot access the file 'C:\NovaRO\NovaRO.exe' because it is being used by another process.

But I'm logged out of the game, so nothing should be using the exe file?

EDIT: Panic's suggestion to restart my computer fixed the issue.

Edited by Lorea

Share this comment

25 minutes ago, Lorea said:

Following the directions in the post, I keep getting an error.

But I'm logged out of the game, so nothing should be using the exe file?

Restart your computer and try again.

Share this comment

I can't update the client. I tried to reinstall the client and windows blocked the installation. I consented the installation and I was relocked on updating the client. I have rebooted the system several times. I can only enter in the game without updating the client. What should I do? Curiously at login the client asks for my consent as if it were the first time I play. I report this problem

ACCESSO_NEGATO.PNG

UPDATE (problem solved):
    I leave the previous post, it could serve for some other user. The problem was caused by MalwareBytes which has blocked the patcher. Disable it and re-enable it at the end of the process. The update will be successful.

Edited by Farmacon

Share this comment

13 hours ago, Panic said:

Restart your computer and try again.

That fixed the problem. Thank you!

Share this comment

I always get impressed w/ the dedication to improve this old game by this staff, seeing updates like this always renew my love for RO

thanks guys, keep the good work :pepperhappy:

Nova and Millefey like this

Share this comment

Can anyone help me? By the moment I tried the new client and reversed it to the old one it looks like the game got so much heavier. My FPS used to stay around 40-50, now its 9-12 making it impossible to play. Am I the only one?

Edited by Kunakara

Share this comment

5 hours ago, Kunakara said:

Can anyone help me? By the moment I tried the new client and reversed it to the old one it looks like the game got so much heavier. My FPS used to stay around 40-50, now its 9-12 making it impossible to play. Am I the only one?

Reversing between the old and the new client shouldn't have any impact. It simply swaps the executable files and clears up the emblem folder. Nothing else is changed.

Share this comment