• NovaRO Staff Application

Millefey
    • Announcements

Milesheader.png

Apply for NovaRO Staff

It is that time of the year when we're ready to receive some sweet, fresh blood transfusions! Over the last few months, studies, work and other forms of real life has taken a toll on the size of our GM family and we want to build it back up a little. As it stands, our team has always been small but sturdy. On most occasions we prefer to underhire than overhire in favor of having more resources to devote to integrating our newcomers. This is not very encouraging news of course, seeing how it means a higher probability of rejected applications but sometimes sheer persistence gets you in (when we see you applying time after time after being rejected). This revelation is not intended as a caution but more of an insight: just like we believe in what we do, we want you to believe in yourself and what you do, too.

Our ultimate goal as staff is to provide the players of NovaRO the best game experience possible with the means, skills and time available to us. Some of us do so by interacting with players in-game, some keep an eye on the forums or on Discord. Others work more behind the screen on the features and content that we implement, and there's also a group of people who add artistic flair. Several of us opt to play a bit of a game of Twister and don many different hats! In other words, you have a lot of freedom in what you want to focus on. If you want to be a part of this team, all you essentially need to do is to fulfill the age requirement. We never ask for prior GM experience but ideally you already possess robust knowledge of the game and the server -- or at least enthusiasm for learning as much as possible about it if you have not been with us that long. It is your inner drive that matters the most.

Available Positions:

• Game Master
    • Writer
    • Spriter
    • Artist
    • Helper
    • Tester*
    • BG Commissioner**

*If you want to apply as a Player Tester and not officially join the staff, please follow the application procedure described over here.

**If you want to apply as a BG Commissioner, please follow this application procedure instead.

Last time we focused rather explicitly on hiring support GMs, and while we still much welcome such applications (because there can hardly ever be enough kind souls willing to answer questions around the clock), this time the process is more general and largely up to you as an applicant. Listing all available positions would take much too much space, hence examples above are just that, examples. If you have skills or talents that you feel can benefit the server,  or if you don't want to be a GM but still want to contribute in other ways -- we'd be very happy if you let us know.

Kindly note that being staff is classified as volunteer work. Please do not expect monetary reimbursement from being on the team.
      Before you proceed with the application, read the rest of this post thoroughly, and post any questions you have in this thread before you begin filling in your answers. We are unlikely to begin processing any applications until at least a week in, so take your time with making sure you didn't miss anything.

RULES & REQUIREMENTS

You have to be at least 19 years old in order for your application to be considered.
      • Applications must be filled out in English.
        While most staff members are multilingual, the server's primary language remains English. Your command of this language does not have to be perfect but we consider that your application reflects your fluency. Game Masters represent the server so it is important that you are able to express yourself clearly and well.
      • All applications must be filled out in their entirety.
        Please do not leave any fields empty. While we understand that some questions may seem difficult or tedious to answer, we ask that you fill each field to the best of your ability. Please aspire to use full sentences, proper punctuation and capitalization and also avoid abbreviations.
      • Any applications filled out improperly will not be considered.
        As we process a large number of applications, we will not be contacting any individual applicants regarding potential errors or omissions. It would also not be fair for those applicants who invested time into making sure theirs were properly filled. So please double-check your application before you send it to us.
      • Please do not send multiple applications or ask about the application status.
        You will be notified of our final decision once we are ready to do so. Recruitment is a lenghty process and we will reply to everyone in due time.
      • Do not post applications in this thread. They will be deleted, and you will be immediately disqualified.
        The only thing this would do, would be providing a clear indication that you have not paid attention to this section.

HOW TO APPLY

1. Copy and paste the application found in the spoiler tag of this post into a message via THIS LINK.
        You can remove the comments in small font without any worry. They're only there to clarify the questions so that they're easier for you to answer. As for the length of your answers, it is completely up to your discretion; your replies may be elaborate, consice, or something in-between. Whichever you feel most comfortable with.
      2. Please BOLD your answers.
        This will make the application easier for us to read. You can do this easily by highlighting your answer, then pressing Ctrl + B.
      3. Keep the rest of your message default.
        This is basically us asking you to spare our eyes from rainbow colors. Creative formatting will get you attention but not the kind you want if you want to be seriously considered. Creativity is truly wonderful, just please not here, as it will also show that you are not able to follow the most basic of instructions. We don't want your formatting to detract our attention away from what you're saying, and ask you to respect this wish.
      4. Use the appropriate title for your message. The format should be [Position you are applying for] Application - [Player Name].
        You would not yet have a GM name, so please use any of your in-game names. If you copy one of the samples, please don't forget to change the name.

Examples:

GM Application - Nova

Scripting Application - Tokei

• Your name:
      • Language(s) you speak:
      • Current in-game name:

• What can you tell us about yourself?
        Please introduce the magnificent person on the other side of the screen with a few lines of text, so we can have an inkling of who you are.

• How long have you been playing Ragnarok Online?

• How long have you been playing on NovaRO?

• How do you spend your time on this server?
        What kinds of activities do you currently participate, enjoy, or engage in?

• What other RO servers have you played on?
        How long did you play on each, why did you leave, and what things did you like and dislike about them?

• Have you been a GM on any other servers or in any other games?
        If so, what was your name there, what server was it, and how long were you a GM for?

• What are your greatest three strengths?

• What are your greatest three weaknesses?

• Why are you applying for this position?
        What is you motivation?

• What (do you think) would be your unique contribution to the team?
        Do you have unique passions, aspirations?

• Do you have any worries or reservations about this position, and if so, what are they?

• How many hours per week will you dedicate to the server tasks?
        If you do not know, please explain briefly what your weekly schedule is like, and where you think you would fit your position at NovaRO into that.

• Are you willing to voice chat with the other staff members?
        This is not a requirement, but we greatly value the ability to voice-chat, as it makes communication much easier during our staff meets.

• Do you know any Staff Members from any server (NovaRO included) that would vouch for you?
        If so, kindly provide contact information. Please note that references will be verified.

• If there is one thing that you would change about NovaRO, what would it be and why?
        Please describe in detail.

• (Optional) Is there anything else you want to say or add?

:delphipeace:
      We wish you all the best of luck and are looking forward to reading all of your applications!

Panic, Llewellyn, Hermes and 3 others like this

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Hey there. First of all, I wanna say that I am looking forward to applying and that the idea of being part of the server's staff is very exciting. That being said, while I understand that this hiring process is more general, I still have some questions regarding the role that some of the positions listed in this thread have.

I'd like to know if there is somewhere I can read about  the exact routine and duties of a staff member (In, say, the GM and helper roles, for example) and what I should expect if I end up being selected. I get that this may be a rather tiring question to answer (that's why I'd rather get directions on where to pursue this info on my own than a direct answer from one of you), but after thinking about it for a while, I came to the conclusion that this is something that'll help me steer my application towards a position where I have more to offer the team. 

Thanks for the continued support and the opportunity:delphiheart:

Share this comment

1 hour ago, Greystache said:

Hey there. First of all, I wanna say that I am looking forward to applying and that the idea of being part of the server's staff is very exciting. That being said, while I understand that this hiring process is more general, I still have some questions regarding the role that some of the positions listed in this thread have.

I'd like to know if there is somewhere I can read about  the exact routine and duties of a staff member (In, say, the GM and helper roles, for example) and what I should expect if I end up being selected. I get that this may be a rather tiring question to answer (that's why I'd rather get directions on where to pursue this info on my own than a direct answer from one of you), but after thinking about it for a while, I came to the conclusion that this is something that'll help me steer my application towards a position where I have more to offer the team. 

Thanks for the continued support and the opportunity:delphiheart:

Hello, Greystache!

Glad to hear you're excited about the prospect. The positions listed are there to just get potential applicants brainstorming really, as every single one is what you make of it. For example, you might start as one role and in time, become another. This is probably made easier by the fact that we don't have routines in the conventional sense. That is not to say GMs don't have routines at all, but rather that it depends on each individual, on their focus, and the amount of time they have. By itself, the list of tasks that someone in a GM position might do is very long and includes everything you could envision us do, from spellchecking to testing. But that doesn't mean all of our GMs participate in this way. One member may only be running events and nothing else, for example -- yet do so with high consistency. Another might take on answering support tickets as their niche thing, and so on. We only ask that you interact with the team and are reasonably active (so sudden, extended MIAs are best avoided).

Roughly divided, a Game Master has a Game Master account/avatar. Everyone else works in the background, including Helpers. We... haven't had anyone in this position for a very long time. Partly because it simply wasn't explicitly listed, and partly because of the inherent limitations it comes with. Admittedly, when I first arrived here, it did give me a way to dip my toes in but before long I too asked for a GM account due to inability to concretely help players, run events, and make official replies. That said, it might still be suitable to a person who wants to stay strictly in the background and tinker with things that need doing (say, writing a hat quest) and to bombard the rest of us with reminders when we inevitably forget to follow up with something. But, it's also important to mention that no matter which position we talk about, proactivity and initiative are a must. Sitting idly and expecting to be given tasks would be a way to guarantee a rather lukewarm start with us. We are much too busy to chase non-interested members, and we also want everyone on the staff to enjoy what they do, so we approach work with "if you want to be involved, get involved" principle.

I hope that this brought a little bit of clarity. If you want me to elaborate on anything, do let me know.

Panic and Greystache like this

Share this comment

Hello,
      With all the respect to the staff, and taking into the consideration all the terms described above, I might still have a question.
      For quite some time I've been thinking about negotiating with someone from the staff of the project about a certain voluntary offer from my side which might highly benefit the project overall.
      Since there's a hiring process ongoing, I've though that it might be the right time to, at least, ask.
      Though offer itself is closely related to being the tester of the project, it's not quite on-point. And filling up the form as-is would be considered as an improperly filled form.
      Whilst I don't want to waste any time of the staff, I would highly appreciate if someone would guide me to the proper place where such proposals might be reviewed accordingly, or I can provide further clarifying information for you to decide if such activity might be considered to be included in the pool of applications.
      Best of luck with the hiring process and thanks in advance.

Share this comment

41 minutes ago, vldrk said:

Hello,
      With all the respect to the staff, and taking into the consideration all the terms described above, I might still have a question.
      For quite some time I've been thinking about negotiating with someone from the staff of the project about a certain voluntary offer from my side which might highly benefit the project overall.
      Since there's a hiring process ongoing, I've though that it might be the right time to, at least, ask.
      Though offer itself is closely related to being the tester of the project, it's not quite on-point. And filling up the form as-is would be considered as an improperly filled form.
      Whilst I don't want to waste any time of the staff, I would highly appreciate if someone would guide me to the proper place where such proposals might be reviewed accordingly, or I can provide further clarifying information for you to decide if such activity might be considered to be included in the pool of applications.
      Best of luck with the hiring process and thanks in advance.

Hello, vldrk!

We do have our hands full with projects (and not least with applications right now), so the chances of us taking on any more anytime soon are quite slim. You are of course still very welcome to pitch yours -- I'd be interested in hearing about it. Send me a message with conscise details of your inquiry, and I'll forward it wherever it needs to go if I'm not able to give you an answer.

Panic and vldrk like this

Share this comment