submarine

MH - Information and Goals

Posted (edited)

Ever since the introduction of MH2* every patch about it has bring people nerves to the extreme, some of the outrage on players part is justified(yesterday patch) and some are not(the nerf to IP def pierce), while the nerfs/buffs can feel like a punch in the gut what I really think is the biggest let down is the lack of information about future changes that could entirely break a class.

For the clowns out there, I'm talking about the classes exclusively on MH. I know GX is still a beast outside of it.

Yesterday patch came out of nowhere and suddenly the damage of some people is cut in half or even more, there was no time to discuss the change itself with the players and for players to get prepared, you more than anyone else knows that RO is a grindy rpg and not a moba that you can just reroll freely without losing too much time, at least gives us some warning to get prepared.

About the goals IMO the devs are hurting themselves trying to design the hunts to last X amount of time in a game like RO, I get that you want to make it difficult to emulate the whole MH original game feel but you are going to lose a lot of time trying to perfectly balance a mode that most people only do to get theirs Shadow Sets/BSBs. Players that have put the time and zeny to gear up to end the hunt as quickly as possible should be able to do it, of course if it's not something ridiculous like IP or what RGs are doing right now, they are the extreme minority that are old enough in the server to have almost infinite resources to back their weirds builds. Just to give you an example WoW Mythic raids are usually cleared in about a week or two at most by the top end raiders, while the average player can take months to clear it, there is no point trying to perfectly balance a content around the minmaxers.

My final take is that you are going to lose a lot of your time trying to imitate the gameplay of the original MH while having to deal with the weirdeness/variety of RO and trying to balance it around extremely high end players, also just to reinforce a dev blog about the changes before they are applied would be a gods send.

Edit: To better clarify what I meant about the justified/non-justified part.

Edited by submarine

Posted (edited)

in my opinion, gm should make a huge restriction that can rule the game. I recommended that every player has limited number to enter the MH, except expedition. In exchange, every hunts done, the drops/loots from monster should be increased, so that, when we want to make shadow gear still viable on even we have limited with a certain number once a week to enter MH (hunts a great monster). And the count of that limited started when the determined great monster sucessfully defeated.

Edited by Neisseria

Posted (edited)

Here's the thing, RO is not an action RPG, RO is an old silly game, where u can custom your character with broken and weird equips to "break the game". The uniqueness of ragnarok is their equip building, which is very complex, and very fun to do. It's about the same like disgaea system when u can pull off crazy amount of damage. Yes, It's inbalanced, messy, but fun.

image.png.684486b5c516227390e68ae867a0fca6.png

Then u guys want this to become a legit action RPG, it just not gonna work without damage scaling. Because:

1. The game not meant to be designed to do that. In this game one person can deal crazy amount of damage with right equip, making other player basically useless.
2. It has same problem like Nioh. If u have broken equip, forget skill, u build it right, it just break the game. Unlike Dark souls, where u get hard cap at certain limit (Even then player still can cheese Dark souls to this day).

Now with like, the buff and nerf surounding the MH2 is not clear, because every class can be broken with right setup. Just look at RG solo build on MH2, then Unlimit Aimbolt, WK WC (have 100k HP and solid DPS), WL CL (700k per tick). The reason why people don't do that. Because:

A. They don't like the class.

B. It's too expensive to do that.

I can understand why devs want to nerf the broken skill, but it's make the game boring, and building equip takes effort and time.

The problem is not the balance, it's the uncertainty. Getting DPS gutted, or Tank Nerfed for random reason is not the way to do it.

Just ask the developer what is your UX (user experience)? What is your goal? What is your vision?

Do u planning to make an action RPG game? Or do u want to make a RO with MH skin? those two are different.

Edited by ninpou

1 minute ago, Neisseria said:

and why nova have highest balance and good review on RMS? LOL, i completely disagree on your toughts

Because they don't put JRO items.

16 minutes ago, Neisseria said:

and why nova have highest balance and good review on RMS? LOL, i completely disagree on your toughts

If you disagree with something tell why you disagree, point it why you disagree and argument on it.

NovaRO having good reviews doesn't excuse the server of feedback and criticism, also your early suggestion is terrible because it promotes even more elitism in getting a group together and flame wars if someone do a mistake that costs them the run. Anyways, the topic is about the lack of developers discussion about MH changes and the clear goal with it in regards to player progression/time invested, try to stay on topic.

StrayCat likes this

i am still on the monster hunter, i still insist on my first comment, i recommend it. because why? when u wanna play, you can still play w/o nerf or anything, or even if nova have its customization, it is their wise. the point of this i we need to make this game alive. what is the mean of alive? ppl should experience their hunts, adventure, and so on, not only just for sit and done. and speaking of time invested, is new player will be same as old palyer gear? then what is term of time investment? thus, making a restriction such as limited number of hunts every player is considerable.

Posted (edited)

for someone like me, who favor GX solely and feel that reached to end-game level with nothing to do but play MH2..(or too lazy to play actual official contents, for that matter)
I must say: they ruining the content for me and everyone else..:(
I been victim of MH2 Nerfs since day one, and some Nerfs I understood and accepted for being unbalanced. (if I'm being honest)
but this last nerf in particular probably killed my class in MH2 (since im unable to run SBK due to my bad ping) 

I'm aware that MH2 Devs are overprotective for their content and all.
but instead of going after an actual player stats/skills and Nerfing it..
you should go back to the bosses (the upcoming ones even) and adjust their stats accordingly with the current patch/episode ( and keep doing it from time to time - call it growth if you will.. )

- examples:

• increase HP.
  • give it more def/mdef.
  • give it higher HP regeneration.
  • give it (maybe) some sort of Green Aura effect. (starting at low and at reasonable level of damage reduction)
  • make aggro actually switch to the problematic-DPS. (that open many possibilities, and force drastic measures e.g. Devo-RG/utility role to counter it) 

I'm sure the MH2 bosses don't have feelings like we do, but if they did, they would probably be happy in being buffed.
and we as an end-game players would welcome the challenge.

as a result, fighting the same boss over and over would never be boring or gets old, and it should keep things interesting. (it sound like win/win to me)
because frankly, we as players - would never stop from evolving. therefore you would never stop from Nerfing us.

after all, that's the whole purpose of the living content!

Edited by Raziya
Pudding and Rayle1gh like this

Posted (edited)

I think a good and simple solution (not idea how hard to program) could be players having "DPS scores", so everytime they finish a hunt, their dps is computed, an when you enter a new run, the whole party "DPS score" status is checked and mechanics of the boss are more difficult according to that (the most simple way would be always the same mechanics as it is today, but with less intervals according to "DPS marks"), you can establish a longer load screen for the time the system is doing the "matchmaking".                                                   

That way, you can have a base boss who requires some decent gearing and learning curve to players starting RO endgame and you have a challenge for experimented and overgeared players. The main advantages of this system as Raziya pointed, is that you are working in monsters, not players, so you can easily correct errors without hurting too much people's zeny and time investment, and in the long term would be an easiest work for you guys, because as someone said: RO players love to theorycraft, and someone will find a way to break the game eventually, you cant nerf us forever.. Also, overgeared players would make their runs shorter in the long term (feeling a sense of reward for the investment) but at the same time, need to be sharper in battle and probably prepare more MH consus.                                                                                                         

An even more simple way to implement this proposal would be improving an evolved rage system, instead of being always the same power up and just activate sooner with dps, you can have "Rage tiers", so, for example, a monster have 4 posible rage tiers and the tier activated will depend on how fast a percentage of its life was done as damage, that way the boss can make a quick check on dps and respond with more pain. Even if you dont take any of the ideas in this thread, i totally agree with my fellow ROmates: have a better feedback with your community and at least put us on alert with incoming MH balances, so we can stand better the more painful ones. P.D: Sorry if there is any error, not my mother language.

Edited by Rayle1gh
Raziya and Maxan like this