Ingthor

We need to talk about the summer event

Posted (edited)

Hello! I have been playing for the last 3 months in the server, and it brings an amazing experience through a functional Ragnarok content and expanding the end game with monster hunter. MH is so unique that I thought being part of official content along the shadow equipment when I first heard of it. Official Ragnarok lacks a decent endgame PvE content. When we get close to endgame gear, the official PvE content poses no challenge. MH covers this deficiency and it is brilliant. Then, we have the another biggest custom content, the summer event.

The summer event is a unique experience in terms of Ragnarok, and shows that developers are very skilled. The MH drops from summer land are also handy. Sadly, my compliments are over here. So I made a list for the criticism.

1) Different of MH, summer event doesn't cover any deficiency of Ragnarok content. Summer event is a parallel and inefficient casual farming. When I say parallel, I want to say that doesn't improve economy by generating important goods for selling (i.e.: gears and consumables). And inefficient because the zenny/hours farming event content is one of the worst in the game. Instead, we are stuck in the pointless farm for at least 4 event rounds (GL getting 11k coins in 4 runs, I used to take more than that) to fulfill the weeklies and get BSB. And I believe that 90% or more of the players are doing the event just for the BSB, not because they enjoy it. I realized that when I begin doing the Summer Event weeklies, I felt much less likely to farm elsewhere, and much less stimulated to play the game in a overall. Ragnarok essence is closed linked to farming, and the summer event seems very poor in this sense.

2) We are subject in a static and repetitive content for 3 months to fulfill the weeklies. In the first event rounds, the event is fun, but in the long run it gets very, very boring. And worst: we are subject to specific hours determined by the server. I had to adapt my schedule to play it, which gave me the impression of having a job, not playing a game. After the 6th week doing it, I just couldn't take anymore. Many mini-games farming that don't contribute for the market or stimulate exploring the huge Raganarok realms diversity. In the previous weekly system, we had to cover many Ragnarok contents (instances, bio5, MH, monster subjugation), which nourishes the market and rewarded us with BSB (great!). Now, beside that, we need to expend at least 4 more farming hours that neither improve server economy, players gears or stimulates exploration. It doesn't have the challenge of MH neither the stance and monster subjugation diversity. I have the feeling that the staff thought "Well, we had a lot of work to develop the event... Is it enjoyable, is it worth of Ragnarok experience? We are not sure. Let's attach the event quests to the weeklies, So the players will be forced to do it 4 days per week". I understand that rushing the weeklies in 1 or 2 days sounds dumb, but the staff definitively choose a bad way...

3) There wasn't any initiative to hear the community feedback about the event. This is probably my most important point. When the event released, It had a terrible reception. Half of my guild members quit NovaRO, due the reasons above and the expectation of MH3 and 17.2. Instead, they were slapped in the face seeing so much developing effort for the event in detriment of MH3/17.2. The number of players clearly declined when event released. These player numbers apparently were recomposed mostly by new players. This event has a highly experimental content, and I feel really bad that it will goes on until October. The event time is too long for what it offers.

I am strongly favorable to events. But I believe a much more wise decision would incorporate the event content to the game itself (a simple example: add event drops for quests in the maps). A casual instanced event is a very bad decision in my opinion. And I fear to see something like this for Halloween and Xmas. MH is an exception for instanced content, because the reasons in the beginning of the topic. I really want to hear the community thoughts, and my only desire is to see the NovaRO game experience improve.

Edited by Ingthor

The GMs are very well aware of these feedback, it's not the first time players have sounded out, there's so many players who have already voiced out but this was heeded. I personally think they did more harm than good, and I feel the same as you. It is to the point that I would only play 4-5 out of 7 days just to give myself time-off from NovaRO, and this only happens after SF was implemented. What was fun became chore, and by basing their stats off the immediate release they have neglected the long-term effects on the players. If there are new contents, players can always do away with SF, but what else interesting could players do if the content has been stale for quite some time already? 

The GMs have made their points clear on many occasions. I doubt they will do anything on it. 

Ingthor likes this

Posted (edited)

I agree with much of the text.

Honestly, my current feeling towards Summer is one of acceptance, not liking. I just realized that, speaking personally, it would be less tiring if i just make the summer experience as less tiring as possible.

I believe that from the moment that most players are doing something like summer (an event that I BELIEVE that was created to bring more fun ...?) Just for the reward ... something is wrong. But you know, that already it has been said so many times.

I even believe that it would be much more dynamic and fun if Summer had been included in the Weeklyes in a similar way to other quests, with more specificity.

For example: They ask for specific instances, specific monsters and etc., the same could happen with summer (something like a monster subjugation of monsters in the grotto and a specific game every week) ... But anyway, that would be just another suggestion, something that I believe would be better,  but that I believe is not worth  to suggest.

Well, to say a lot more would just be to repeat what has been said since the beginning ... But, taking the opportunity, I must say that currently I also share the feeling of the third point, mainly ... and although I understand that many times what the community asks for is in fact not ideal for the server, the way this relationship (community - Staff) is occurring it is being somewhat frustrating.

Edited by Huka
Skyrius and Ingthor like this

17th%20Huka%20Belladona

although i'm kinda the "opposite public" on this topic (beeing a person that is actually having a lot of fun at summer and doesn't see a problem that it's part of weeklies), i must say that at the moment i can see a problem when the focus is too much on "extra" content (like summer and mh) rather then improving the RO itself.. ppl can be bored cause they dont like these contents (like u said) and they dont have new ones - especially the challenging ones - to encourage them to keep playing and making an goal (~or something xD)
it is something well debated for what i've seen so far, and i'm not sure that a change would be possible at this point with the summer event, but i'm emphasizing this because i really see the conection and hope they bring more stuff to make ppl excited again as soon as possible ><

Ingthor and Huka like this

4 12

Most of my friends / guildies @quit because SF, but like someone said  "If you don't like it, don't play". For me SF is not the same as last year is no longer fun. We used to throw parties just to have fun playing a few mini games while we waited for everyone to be online to do other content. Nowadays it is really difficult to get 5 people online to do mh because they are tired of SF and prefer to have fun playing anything else.

In my option, We should have a weekly with SF quest then a weekly with Ro related stuffs but a little harder than before but not chores.

Do i enjoy summer event? No, but i do anyway since there's nothing else to do

darkstalkker and Ingthor like this

the bad: tie into weekly

the good: everything else

If I see one more comment of "you can just go farm geffenia and buy BSB with zeny" I swear. People who make comment like this are so out of touch. I was able to finish weekly even when the coin req was 15k. I can now finish 11k on the 4th day. But my experience this year still pales compared with SF in previous years. Simply because there's a cold hard 0/11000 on top of my head. "Ignore it and go farm geffenia". OK fine but why putting in a quest and actively telling people not to finish it? The dissonance is just bizarre and distasteful. We are more than 2 months into SF. Most of people can finish 11k and weekly in time now. But if you do a poll and ask the remaining players who still play SF, I can assure you people rate this year worse than previous years.

Back in the old days it's much simpler and more enjoyable. You play you get hats. You can't attend because of time slot, or simply don't want to? That's fine too you can buy hats with zeny from people who attend. Isn't this how a casual for-fun event supposed to be?

3 hours ago, Belz said:

i must say that at the moment i can see a problem when the focus is too much on "extra" content (like summer and mh) rather then improving the RO itself.. ppl can be bored cause they dont like these contents (like u said) and they dont have new ones - especially the challenging ones - to encourage them to keep playing and making an goal (~or something xD)

I believe that one of the reason why dev tied SF into weekly is that they spent quite some time on developing new SF content. I totally understand their eagerness of wanting us to play the content. If I was the dev I would like that too. The content itself is great. But how it's delivered frustrates players.

Also it turns out the new content needs maintenance too. A number of bugs been popping out. I agree with you that there seems to be too much manpower invested on "extra".

champ, Ingthor, Skyrius and 1 other like this

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Ingthor said:

Official Ragnarok lacks a decent endgame PvE content. When we get close to endgame gear, the official PvE content poses no challenge. MH covers this deficiency and it is brilliant. 

KRO players dying in Glast heim challenge disagree with you. I personally don't like to consider MH as PvE endgame, because the mechanics are way too different.

Aside from that, agree with everything. When GM Millefrey apologized, i thought we were going to see changes for good, but nothing changed at all. I Iike Summer festival, but as a casual activity i do when i want to have fun, not as something i'm forced to rush against the clock. It kills all the magic 

Edited by Black Blossom
Ingthor, Huka, champ and 1 other like this

My anecdotal experience is that almost all my friends who did weeklies stopped when Summer came in. We used to group up and have some fun doing weeklies together on tuesday/wednesday, but nowadays the effort isn't worth the reward for us, not because we have to put in more time but because we just don't have fun.

Zeny/h wise, weekly farming has almost always been innefficient compared to other forms of farming. We used to do it because it was more fun doing weeklies with friends than soloing geffenia/rudus/ein/whatever, but that's not the case anymore.

I agree with a lot of what was said above in the sense that the staff used a "side" thing with no direct relation to RO to replace the "main" RO related things people used to do. And Summer Festival lasts so long that it becomes annoying - if the weeklies were swapped for only a month, I would probably still have done them. 

Skyrius, champ, Ingthor and 2 others like this

I agree to almost all what you said. MH was the thing I love with this server because it's actually challenging and way more dynamic than the official ragnarok pvm where you face tank every boss and spam CI until it dies or get one shot by max pain or something.

It's also the same with my group of friends, we used to look forward to the weekly reset so we could do it together. Nowadays we just afk on save point or play other games. I can imagine it's the same for most people, a lot of items have gone up in price due to less people farming it and NP voucher price is so high these days which means less people are donating. MH is also empty when it used to be full of people. 

I can't believe they thought it was a good idea to make the event last 3 months like people won't get burned out of it. Sadly, the damage has been done and they can't back pedal from it now, just have to wait until the summer ends.

Ingthor and champ like this

10 minutes ago, CheeseOmelette said:

Sadly, the damage has been done and they can't back pedal from it now, just have to wait until the summer ends.

I have to disagree. They have all the power in their hands to finish event this week if they want and maybe release 17.2. The automatic gear is included in the database already. They just insist following some previously planed calendar...

Huka likes this