What we're working on - NovaRO Development Update #2

Aimer

Hello and welcome to our second Development Update dev blog!

Today we'll be going over some of our major planned changes and what we're working on for the coming months, as well as some ideas we have pending. All details, imagery or comments contained in this post refer to work in progress content and are subject to change.

Monster Hunting

The next instalment of Monster Hunting feature lots of under the hood changes that, while has little impact on its gameplay, allows us more flexibility and less annoying bugs, as well as the introduction of DDA (Dynamic Damage Adjustment - of which you can read more about in our Final Role Blog) and the pending MVP card alterations, a new Tank role skill, and a full rework on Rage mechanics.

All together with the mammoth Hrungnir, which make its debut in the Savage Coast on the 1st of March.

hr.jpg

March 1st, 2022

fatflippy.gif sickflippy.gif tropical.gif

Illusion of Twins
twins.gif The latest illusion dungeon, Illusion of Twins, will be arriving into NovaRO in our very next maintenance.

With the update, we've reworked the Daily Quest reset tiers to accommodate the new dungeon, and increased Illusion Stone quest rewards for some old and new quests. The tiers will become as follows:

Tier 1: Illusion of Moonlight and Illusion of Frozen

Tier 2: Illusion of Vampire and Illusion of Abyss

Tier 3: Illusion of Teddy Bear and Illusion of Underwater (First floor)

Tier 4: Illusion of Luanda and Illusion of Twins

Tier 5: Illusion of Labyrinth and Illusion of Underwater (Second floor)

All details will be noted on the Patch Notes. You can also expect the same quality of life features from previously implemented illusion dungeons to also be applied to Illusion of Twins, including the requirement downgrade to +7 instead of +9, base equipment materials being obtained as drops from the dungeon and the MVP-exclusive catalyst being obtained through a regular mob at a lower rate.

Zeny Generation
One big project that remained in our minds for a long time is the player progression in NovaRO, and how players interact with new (and old) content. One of the main concerns regarding progression is how the mid-game transition is perceived as laborious and repetitive.

We've taken some time to look at the overall zeny generation and have some immediate and long term plans in mind but, as you may know, this is a delicate topic and every major change has to be considered carefully.

An update on Eden Academy
Development on Eden Academy has been going strong since our last announcement on its conception, and the overall idea is now fleshed out. From teaching new (and returning) players simple concepts such as understanding base Ragnarök Online systems, such as Navigation and RODEX to gear refinement and enchantment. While I'll reiterate the content in of itself is not tailor-made for our most active, 'end game' players, it will prove to be a great help for newcomers, returning players or even established players looking to try a new class out, with the help of Noblesse, Imperial and Grace sets.

academy.jpg

Guild Missions

It is not a surprise that the guild system in RO has always been heavily tailored towards War of Emperium, providing little functionality for those not interested in participating in that activity alone. With the advent of communities in Teamspeak, Mumble, Discord and other VoIP software, the role of in-game guilds as social connectors became even more dubious.

Guild-wide activities have always defaulted to regular group gameplay for most, as there are not a lot of activities who can be performed by more than a full party simultaneously (aside from the obvious choice of WoE). This project aims to provide more content for guild members to participate and feel more included within their communities, or even be persuaded to start their own. Guilds will be able to participate in special events, be rewarded for their joint effort, and compete against each other in a monthly leaderboard.

The project is at an early stage and all its details are limited to internal documentation at this moment, but we're eager to share more in the coming months as it comes to fruition. If you're a guild leader, feel free to contact us and share your experience or any ideas that come to mind.

Ancient Juperos Ep. 2

Research in the fields of Ancient Juperos has been extremely fruitful thanks to the help of fearless adventurers. However, this fearlessness was not set to last, as an ancient, and surprisingly in working condition, piece of technology was found abandoned in its depths.

juper.jpg

??????: If you persist, I will be forced to --
WARNING: Information Classified.
??????: Oh. Well, thank you, System. I don't want to spoil the surprise.

That's all great, but what about 4th jobs?
Following our pre-release on NovaLabs, which we can refer to as successful, there were a lot of crinkles to iron out and bugs to fix with the base implementation of 4ths. Following kRO's release of Extended 4th Job Classes, as well as providing the very first rebalance for regular 4th Jobs, there was a new decision to be made: releasing what we have vs. waiting to release a full-fledged pack.

As of now, we're aiming to have all base 4th jobs, with their latest kRO updates, in the second quarter of the year. We'll be trying to include Expanded jobs, Hyper Novice and Spirit Handler, but as there is less information readily available on these jobs, it is quite likely they will require more time to be implemented. This is an internal release date, something that we generally would not share at this point, as many things can influence it. There's a daunting amount of work ahead of us, starting with finishing up a stable fully working client with proper 4th Job support, data gathering, coding, QA and a lot of testing - not only for the classes themselves, but potentially also new official content released for them. Which means there's a very real possibility of us not making it "in time".

We'll be working our hardest to make it a reality.

And to all other projects...

As expected, there are a lot more projects (and pipe dreams) in the back burner, which are either way too early to share, too small, too abstract or in need of fresh ideas and consideration. Some of these might grow and earn their own section on one of these posts, some others will be forgotten in our to-do list and not make the cut - both for a plethora of reasons.

Other small projects, such as an NPC that allows players to lend their items safely, new events, website improvements and more were already at least partially confirmed, be it through our answers here on the Forums or Discord.

We hope you are as excited to see what the future holds for NovaRO. As each project approaches their release dates, we will be sharing more details about them in their own Development Blogs or future Development Updates, whenever applicable. Keep an eye out for more of those (very intentional) teasers!

That's all nice and you are doing a really good job, can't wait to see all that(but don't rush with 4th jobs pls, i'd say). Hope to see more info about Zeny Generation and Guild Missions because there is almost no info given now.
But, what about Nova Companion App? I've been waiting for that for more than 2 years : (   any news?

2 minutes ago, glebegoua said:

That's all nice and you are doing a really good job, can't wait to see all that(but don't rush with 4th jobs pls, i'd say). Hope to see more info about Zeny Generation and Guild Missions because there is almost no info given now.
But, what about Nova Companion App? I've been waiting for that for more than 2 years : (   any news?

Normy has a bad habit of getting excited and opening up new projects. I plan on sitting down with him and re-organizing our priorities to get some projects launched. 

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

Normy has a bad habit of getting excited and opening up new projects. I plan on sitting down with him and re-organizing our priorities to get some projects launched. 

Thanksss! Call me if you need more help with testing it btw :3

1 hour ago, Aimer said:

Zeny Generation

Probably what interested me the most out of everything. Very curious to see how you guys will end up implementing this and which way it will swing towards, and also looking forward for more updates regarding the topic.

The little ant is adorable.

3 hours ago, Aimer said:

While I'll reiterate the content in of itself is not tailor-made for our most active, 'end game'

Who cares about us long term players, I just want new people to play with and try out new classes. Most of us already are at a stage of waiting for new things so giving newcomers a chance to play with the rest of the community is a great way to gain players. And yeah dont rush 4th jobs. Its gonna be a big mess if things dont work as intended

4?v=1187

5?v=5272

Will unlimit nerf be lift off with DDA?

Btw DDA system with MVP disabled/halved effects has no logic.

For example, you get thanatos rings that give 70% racial dmg while racial mvp cards only give 20% dmg boost.

Or new shadow gears can give you 100% racial bypass when Thanatos Card is not even enabled.

11?v=15920?v=1592

18 reasons I don't care about you, hater:

ez.jpg

Archived