JohnnyBeggod

Current State of Homunculi

Hello everyone, I have a genetic and i've been using the new homunbank to feed into my homunculus addiction, as soon as I started the first one i noticed what a pain it was.

I dont know how its supposed to be but to level a homunculus from 1-99 it took me about 3-4 hours, keep in mind i'm a level 175 player, so I was doing Gramps at 145+, which is one of the best exp methods easily available ( Each board quest was giving about 4-5 levels at 70+).

To me, it feels like a complete let down having to waste 3-4 hours actively farming just to get your homunculus to 99 and at that point he still is useless to you, i haven't even begun to tackle the 100-175 grind yet because i just feel so demotived by this that I dont really know if i'll even bother trying it.

On my 150 Sera i did some instances and after not gaining a single level I just gave up leveling her.

On top of that, the homunculus lost its autonomy, it is no longer possible to just cast a spell on someone like caprice, you need to issue and order for the homunculus to attack and then you use the spell on said enemy, this feels like ages of retrocess. You also need to have a target to be able to use a ground skill (wtf?).

So overall I feel pretty set back from my genetic after this update because instead of giving new assets to my companion it just lobotomized it.

I would like to know everyones opinion about their homunculus and how are they faring with this new exp/table and/or AI.

Edited by JohnnyBeggod

3 hours ago, JohnnyBeggod said:

I would like to know everyones opinion about their homunculus and how are they faring with this new exp/table and/or AI.

I am aware of how the system works, thank you. But the main goal of this topic is to gather opinions on how was the recent updates regarding homunculi was received.

well the most annoying part for me at the moment is it seems that homunculi is always the main target of any aggressive mobs even tho im the one that attacked the mobs

its a huge pain to level it if it keeps dying

sure that constant auto-provoke? will be helpful after they get to S types..

but before that, they die alot from getting mobed

oh and the need to alt+right click a target before using them is kinda tedious, cant it be just plain use skill then left click to use?

Did 3? ET to go from 150 to 175 on main Dieter.

Then I made a new Amistr. Has perma aggro, dies perma. Leveling was kinda quick so far. I havent made it far enough to really judge it.

Homunculus AI can die in a fire. I never understood why it was a thing. And yeah, we need a better way to target and move them: even just sending them into a bunch of mobs like in ET feels jank af.

Edited by special snowflake

Yeah, I feel like leveling an homunculus should be easier, given that we have 20 combinations of homunculus to try out, an homunbank to encourage several homuns and the possibility of statuses not being at their optimal. The pre-99 grind looks abysmal with some levels seeing a spike of over 20x the old values, currently to level an homunculus from 59 to 60 you need 1,4m exp, while to level from 59 to 60 as a trans you need 100k exp.  How does that even compare? Your homunculus needs to earn 56 times the amount of exp a normal transcendent character needs. It seems they doubled down on making homunculi hard to level, by making them unable to AFK and then raising their exp needed tremendously.

But knowing that you maxed your homunculus in ~3 ET makes it a little bit easier to bear the grind, even though that is 3 weeks of waiting and doing end-level content.

You can check the exp tables here, if this is the one we are using:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.2bb331fc4e57617dd440c58558af1d23.png

On the AI, I liked the idea of making it less AFK , but I felt the execution was poor and the reward is too little for what it offers, IMO, casting a skill on a target is very clearly an attack command and should be treated as such, no alt right clicking to make it a valid target(which feels terrible and clunky on pvp), and if the target is the ground, let it be the ground, do not make me select an enemy since the target is the ground.

Edited by JohnnyBeggod

One EC with homunculus dead on a few MVP: 53->96, then finished off with a few Branches.

If you can reliably get MVP you can 1->99 a homun in a matter of 1ET+1EC. That is what... 3 hours? 4?

And then you sit afk in town for 15 hours to get it to loyal. THAT and the jank control system is what's annoying me with homun atm.

Even if you don't finish ET/EC, just clearing the first few floors with dual AB or a friend gets you lots of homun levels.

Yeah but even then you were doing end-game content to get your homunculus to 99, which for someone leveling, or someone who makes several homunculi, is just plain terrible. I dont mind them being hard to level 140+ where they are useful, but to have them being such a pain to level while being useless is what bothers me.

I want to have a brewer but can decently farm with homun. Honestly its a pain to level up.

I hate the alt-clicking the target first before you can cast the poison mist or attack the monster.

I just get exp on running some daily instances. Though after playing vanilmirth and getting it die on all gramps then evolving it so Sera I'm enjoying the summon legion.

Though no AI was use cause it wouldn't help on beta and new updated skills.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png