Unlike regular monsters in Ragnarok Online, Great Monsters have a hate system, similar to what is seen on other MMORPGs.
When engaging a Great Monster, all players in range will build a small amount of hate, applying the Disengaged status on each player.
Each action taken by any player against that Great Monster will generate hate in varying amounts. This can be something as simple as dealing damage, healing a player who has any amount of hate, or even using an element the mob is weak to.
The player with most hate will be the main target of the Monster, although some Monsters may have specific mechanics that prioritize lower hate targets.
Your current Hate is indicated by a status icon, while you're engaged with said monster. Each icon is indicated by its distinctive color.
- At this state, you currently have less than 30% of the required Hate ammount to overtake the Aggroed player.
- At this state, you currently have less than 70% of the required Hate ammount to overtake the Aggroed player.
- At this state, you currently have 70% or more of the required Hate ammount to overtake the Aggroed player.
- At this state, you currently have the highest Hate ammount and will be the main target of the Great Monster.
- Hate slowly decays over time, 5% every 5 seconds.
- Homunculi and Sorcerer Summons generate Hate for their master.
- Hate is removed entirely on death.
- Hate has a 20% threshold when trying to take it away from another player.
- This allows the current tank to react properly before the Monster change targets, but it can be a double-edged sword, as the tank will have to work harder to get it back.
- Healing in general, for any role, generates 5 times the amount of hate compared to damage.
Different roles have distinct Hate modifiers. Considering a single point of Hate:
Tanks generate 350% hate, meaning each single hate point will count as being 3.5 instead.
Climactic Fury has a -50% hate modifier. This means it amounts to half its final damage in Hate points.
Sentinel forces you to become Aggroed. Any Hate generated while the skill is active will still count when its effect ends.
Damage generate 50% hate, meaning each single hate point will count as being 0.5 instead.
Subdued Strikes reduces Hate you generate for a short duration.
Healers generate 125% hate, meaning each single hate point will count as being 1.25 instead.
Utilities generate 150% hate, meaning each single hate point will count as being 1.5 instead.
|Low Rank Hunts • High Rank Hunts|
|Hunting Mechanics||Rage • Hate • Skills • Alterations|
|Player Roles||Tank • Damage • Healer • Utility|
||1-Star Hunts||Garanth • Nyia|
|2-Star Hunts||Garronath • Nysori|
|Unreleased||Sybaris • Vakaris • Hrungnir • Anko & Mako|
|Regular Monsters||Ambient Monsters|
|Rewards||Low Rank Shadow Gear • High Rank Shadow Gear • Shadow Gear Refinement|
|Gathering & Combinations||Mining • Fishing • Foraging • Combinations|
|Lore||The Savage Coast • The Wyvern • Astrid • Seruel • Delphina • Sain • Will • Reidin Kurs|