Refinement System

From NovaRO: Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

You can refine equipment in Ragnarok Online to make them more powerful. Each successful refine on a weapon/armor will add a '+1' to its name, up to a total of +20. Middle/Lower Headgears, Shadow Gear and Accessories cannot be refined.

Refining has a 100% success chance up to a certain 'safe limit' that changes depending on your weapon level, all armor's safe levels are the same. On failure, your equipment will break if it was +9 or below, if +10 or above, it can also break but there's a much bigger chance it will instead just lose 3 refines. The type of ore used for refine may change these rules.

Required materials

The materials will change depending on the weapon/armor's current refine level and in case of a weapon, its level.

Different ore effects

As mentioned before, different types of ores may have different types of rules, the ones available in the server are listed below.

HD Bradium/Carnium - HD standing for High Density. Instead of losing 3 refines on failure, it will instead lose 1. There is no longer any chance of the equipment breaking.

Enriched Elunium/Oridecon - Offers a higher percentage of success chance on refining.

Acquiring the Ores

Methods of refining

There're several ways to refine

  • NPC Refining with Oridecon/Elunium - There are in fact several refining NPCs but the most notable one is Hollengrhen (/navi prt_in 63/60). He only upgrades up to +9, and you'll have to pay a zeny fee.
  • Whitesmith's Weapon Refine - This is a skill from the Whitesmith class. It adds an extra +0.5% to the refine chance for every job level past 50. At Job 70 this results in a bonus of 10%. Only for weapons +9 and below. Please note, however, that if the Whitesmith's job level is below 50, there is a chance of breaking the weapon even before the safe refine number. In NovaRO, Mechanics of any Job level have the full +10% refining bonus (regardless of your Whitesmith's job level).
  • NPC Refining with Enriched Elunium/Oridecon - Suhnbi in Payon (/navi payon 157/146) is able to refine for a zeny fee.
  • NPC Refining with Bradium/Carnium - Vestri in Prontera (/navi prt_in 90/72) is able to refine for a zeny fee
  • NPC Refining with HD Bradium/Oridecon - Basta in Prontera (/navi prt_in 57/54) is able to refine for a zeny fee

Refine effects

An upgraded weapon get the following bonus to ATK and MATK (for conciseness, only ATK is written) :

  • Weapons
    • Weapon Lv. 1 - Every +1 upgrade gives 2 ATK, 0~3 ATK for every Over Upgrade pass the +7 safety limit, and 3 ATK for every High Upgrade pass +15.
    • Weapon Lv. 2 - Every +1 upgrade gives 3 ATK, 0~5 ATK for every Over Upgrade pass the +6 safety limit, and 6 ATK for every High Upgrade pass +15.
    • Weapon Lv. 3 - Every +1 upgrade gives 5 ATK, 0~8 ATK for every Over Upgrade pass the +5 safety limit, and 9 ATK for every High Upgrade pass +15.
    • Weapon Lv. 4 - Every +1 upgrade gives 7 ATK, 0~14 ATK for every Over Upgrade pass the +4 safety limit, and 12 ATK for every High Upgrade pass +15.
A +20 level 4 weapon gives 201~424 extra ATK and MATK.

Notes:

  • The Over Upgrade ATK and MATK is random for every hit and gives a minimum of 1. This bonus is not shown on the status window or affected by the Max ATK from Crit and Maximize Power or the Max MATK from Recognized Spell.
  • All upgrade bonuses are cumulative so refining a level 4 weapon from +15 to +16 increases your bonus ATK and MATK from 106~259 to 125~292 (7 for the upgrade, 0~14 for the Over Upgrade and 12 for the High Upgrade).
  • Armors
    • Every upgrade gives floor[( 3 + current upgrade ) / 4] Equipment DEF
    • Every +1 upgrade at +1 ~ +4 gives +1 Equipment DEF
    • Every +1 upgrade at +5 ~ +8 gives +2 Equipment DEF
    • Every +1 upgrade at +9 ~ +12 gives +3 Equipment DEF
    • Every +1 upgrade at +13 ~ +16 gives +4 Equipment DEF
    • Every +1 upgrade at +17 ~ +20 gives +5 Equipment DEF
Example : a +10 buckler will give 40 + 1+1+1+1 + 2+2+2+2 + 3+3 = 58 DEF.

Upgrades are useful, as for weapon upgrade, it increases your damage. For armors, it reduces damage you take.

Refining probabilities

The refining chance depends on what method of refining you're using, the type of ore and the weapon level (Armor = Lv4 Weapon up to +9)

These tables start from +4 because up to that point, all sorts of weapons and armors refine at a 100% chance.

Normal Oridecon and Elunium

Upgrade Lv. 1 Lv. 2 Lv. 3 Lv. 4 Armor
+4 -> +5 100% 100% 100% 60% 60%
+5 -> +6 100% 100% 60% 40% 40%
+6 -> +7 100% 60% 50% 40% 40%
+7 -> +8 60% 40% 20% 20% 20%
+8 -> +9 40% 20% 20% 20% 20%
+9 -> +10 19% 19% 19% 9% 9%


Upgrade Lv. 1 Lv. 2 Lv. 3 Lv. 4 Armor
+0 -> +5 100% 100% 100% 60% 60%
+0 -> +6 100% 100% 60% 24% 24%
+0 -> +7 100% 60% 30% 9.6% 9.6%
+0 -> +8 60% 24% 6% 1.92% 1.92%
+0 -> +9 24% 4.8% 1.2% 0.384% 0.384%
+0 -> +10 4.56% 0.91% 0.23% 0.035% 0.035%

Mechanic or Job Lv70 Whitesmith

Upgrade Lv. 1 Lv. 2 Lv. 3 Lv. 4
+4 -> +5 100% 100% 100% 70%
+5 -> +6 100% 100% 70% 50%
+6 -> +7 100% 70% 60% 50%
+7 -> +8 70% 50% 30% 30%
+8 -> +9 50% 30% 30% 30%
+9 -> +10 29% 29% 29% 19%


Upgrade Lv. 1 Lv. 2 Lv. 3 Lv. 4
+0 -> +5 100% 100% 100% 70%
+0 -> +6 100% 100% 70% 35%
+0 -> +7 100% 70% 42% 17.5%
+0 -> +8 70% 35% 12.6% 5.25%
+0 -> +9 35% 10.5% 3.78% 1.575%
+0 -> +10 10.15% 3.045% 1.096% 0.299%

Enriched Oridecon and Elunium

Upgrade Lv. 1 Lv. 2 Lv. 3 Lv. 4 Armor
+4 -> +5 100% 100% 100% 90% 90%
+5 -> +6 100% 100% 90% 70% 70%
+6 -> +7 100% 90% 80% 70% 70%
+7 -> +8 90% 70% 40% 40% 40%
+8 -> +9 70% 40% 40% 40% 40%
+9 -> +10 30% 30% 30% 20% 20%


Upgrade Lv. 1 Lv. 2 Lv. 3 Lv. 4 Armor
+0 -> +5 100% 100% 100% 90% 90%
+0 -> +6 100% 100% 90% 63% 63%
+0 -> +7 100% 90% 72% 44,1% 44,1%
+0 -> +8 90% 63% 28.8% 17.64% 17.64%
+0 -> +9 63% 25.2% 11.52% 7.06% 7.06%
+0 -> +10 19.9% 7.56% 3.46% 1.41% 1.41%

Note that:

  • Red colored numbers mean no improvement over normal Oridecon or Elunium.

Carnium, Bradium and their HD versions

Upgrade Lv. 1 Lv. 2 Lv. 3 Lv. 4 Armor
+10 -> +11 90% 85% 80% 80% 8%1
+11 -> +12 50% 50% 50% 50% 8%
+12 -> +13 50% 50% 30% 30% 8%
+13 -> +14 40% 30% 30% 30% 8%
+14 -> +15 30% 30% 30% 20% 7%
+15 -> +16 30% 30% 20% 20% 7%
+16 -> +17 30% 20% 20% 15% 7%
+17 -> +18 20% 20% 15% 15% 7%
+18 -> +19 20% 15% 10% 10% 5%
+19 -> +20 15% 10% 5% 5% 5%

1. When you fail to refine an Armor from +10 to +11 with HD Carnium, another roll is automatically performed with 95% chance to remain at +10 and 5% to become Damaged. If normal Carnium is used, the damaged chance becomes chance to Break.
2. When you fail to refine a Weapon from +10 to +11 with HD Bradium, another roll is automatically performed with 90% chance to remain at +10 and 10% to become Damaged. If normal Bradium is used, the damaged chance becomes chance to Break.

Damaged Equipment

When failing refinement for +10 armors and weapons with HD Carnium or HD Bradium, there is a chance for it to become Damaged.
Damaged equipment has the following properties:

  • It cannot be worn.
  • It cannot be refined.
  • It can be repaired through any of the repair NPCs for a cost.

    The costs to repair a damaged item are as follows:
  • Level 1 Weapons: 500,000 Zeny, 2 Bradium, 10 Oridecon and 5 Gold Coins
  • Level 2 Weapons: 5,000,000 Zeny, 5 Bradium, 25 Oridecon and 10 Gold Coins
  • Level 3 Weapons: 40,000,000 Zeny, 40 Bradium, 80 Oridecon and 50 Gold Coins
  • Level 4 Weapons: 50,000,000 Zeny, 50 Bradium, 100 Oridecon and 75 Gold Coins
  • Armors: 5,000,000 Zeny, 5 Carnium, 50 Elunium and 10 Gold Coins

    If a player does not wish to pay the repair fee, they can opt to downgrade the refinement level to +9. Note that Damaged status can only be applied to +10 equipment when refined with HD Bradium or HD Carnium.

    Extra

    refinement/cost calculator